Directorate of Planning, Research & Development
The Directorate oversees and provides leadership in development planning, monitoring & evaluation, research and innovation, standards and architecture, capacity building and Program management for Information Technology (IT) development in the country.
ROLES OF THE DIRECTORATE
- To support the development, monitoring and evaluation of the National IT Strategies, Plans, Policies, Programmes and Initiatives in line with the NITA-U mandate.
- To lead change and provide a comprehensive approach in the development and implementation of the IT strategic research & Innovation agenda for the public sector in line with the NITA-U mandate and communicating corporate messages from agenda setting through impact assessment.
- To formulate, enforce and monitor the implementation of national architecture blueprints, standards, certification and provide guidance for quality IT services including risk management & contingency planning.
- To create, implement and maintain an IT capacity building, training and awareness framework, Policy and Strategy in line with the NITA-U mandate.
- To build and maintain a framework, model and process to provide centralized and coordinated support to Programme Management of all IT Projects across the Public Sector in line with the NITA-U mandate.
DEPARTMENTS IN THE DIRECTORATE OF PLANNING, RESEARCH & DEVELOPMENT
- Research & Innovation;
- Standards, Architecture & Certification;
- Programme Management;
- Capacity Building and Skills Development.
- Ensure that mechanisms are in place to enhance NITA-U’s contribution towards coordinated and harmonised evidence-based planning for Information Technology (IT) development. This entails active participation in development and implementation of sectorial, subnational and national IT strategies, plans, policies and action plans.
- Ensure that systems are in place to monitor, evaluate and report performance of IT initiatives in the country.
- Ensure that regular surveys are conducted to inform evidence-based decision making for IT development in the country.
- Ensure that IT standards are developed, issued and implemented to enhance quality of service and products.
- Ensure that a robust Certification and Accreditation Framework is in place to help in standardisation of IT Products, Professionals and Service Delivery Points.
- Ensure that uniform project management methodology is developed and enforced for enhance efficacy and efficiency in implementation and management of IT projects in the country.
- Ensure that a national research and innovation system has been developed and implemented for promoting national Information Technology (IT) research – this entails a National Research & Innovation Master plan, a national Research Fund and other initiatives targeted towards promotion of national IT research and innovation such as ICT parks.
- Ensure a coordinated and harmonised national IT capacity development – both human and physical capacity. This entails carrying of a National Capacity Building Needs Assessment (CBNA) and implementation of a National Capacity Building Action plan (CBAP).