Certification is a procedure by which a third party attests that a product, process or service conforms to the specified requirements. The specified requirements are laid out by the relevant standard(s) against which the product, process or service is certified.
Frequently Asked Questions
The NITA-U I.T. certification scheme is a collection of conformity assessment procedures applied to four domains in the I.T sector of Uganda. These include:
a) I.T service providers
b) I.T products
a) I.T training institutions
b) I.T professionals (only as part of the IT Service Providers and IT Training Institutions)
The NITA-U certification scheme will have three levels of conformity assessment. The three levels are designed to help guide prospective clients step by step to certification. These include:
- Level 1 which requires prospective clients to legally register their businesses and professionals according to well established legal and technical procedures.
- Level 2 which requires prospective clients to fulfil the requirements of level 1 but also provide or demonstrate proof of experience in successfully completing technical contracts awarded to them and also provide proof of existence of tools, equipment and infrastructure to carry out specific works
- Level 3 which is certification against a specific standard e.g. ISO/IEC 20000, ISO 9000, etc.
The procedure will involve seven major steps as shown below:
Step 1: Applicant registers on the Web portal
Step 2: Applicant receives secure access to login
Step 3: Applicant filling online application
Step 4: Application checked for completeness
Step 5: Payment of certification Fees
Step 6: Inspection or audit
Step 7: Evaluation of audit results
Step 8: Granting certificate to qualified applicants
NOTE: A company may decide to apply directly for a level 2 certificate or for level 3 that is, certification directly. In both cases the company must fulfil the requirements of level 1 and level 2 respectively.
No, IT professionals will only be assessed as part of certification of IT Service Providers or Training Institutions to establish their level of competence and expertise.
a) Compliance to relevant standards is demonstrated to provide quality assurance to stakeholders.
b) Consumer protection
c) The business community is protected from unfair competition due to sub-standard products and services
d) Professionals and service providers that meet the requirements of relevant standards are recognized nationally and internationally
e) Value for money for IT products and services provided to government and the private sector
f) The I.T sector is regulated within the country.
The costs for the different levels of certification vary according to the work required to verify and authenticate the applications of the different entities as well as costs involved in inspection.
Certification is valid for 3 years from the date of certification. This applies for level 3. However for level 1 and level 2 the entity is given 18 months to move to the next level.
During this time surveillance to ensure that the terms and conditions upon which certification was granted are not violated is carried out. In addition a modest annual fee is paid by the entity seeking certification.
The certification activities will be carried out by CyberQ India in conjunction with a local Partner on behalf of NITA-U.
(a) Kampala City Council Authority (KCCA)
(b) Ministry of Education & Sports and its Agencies
· National Council of Higher Education (NCHE)
· National Curriculum Development Centre (NCDC)
· Directorate of Industrial Training Developing Vocational Training (DIT)
· Business, Vocational and Technical Training (BTVET)
(c) Uganda Revenue Authority (URA)
(d) Uganda National Bureau of Standards (UNBS)
The benefits of certification include the following:
- Certification helps to win client/consumer confidence translating to higher or increased market share.
- Certification helps to create a better image for a country’s products, services and institutions. In addition certified professionals are better recognized both locally and internationally.
- Certification helps to protect the image and reputation of the manufacturer of products.
- The certification scheme helps to provide a means of technically auditing products, services and process control procedures hence tightening technical regulation of the I.T sector while at the same time ensuring value for money.
- It provides protection from unfair competition hence promoting fair trade practices which are favourable for foreign direct investment.
- Certification provides a step by step learning process for companies and individuals which leads to growth in efficiency, professionalism and quality assurance all of which lead to the sustainable growth of the IT sector.
- Certification promotes the implementation of industry best practices hence ensuring health, safety and protection of the environment.
Ideally, certification is supposed to promote a given brand or product and service by demonstrating that the particular brand, product or service meets requirements of specific standards.
Seen from this perspective certification promotes trade by demonstrating quality of products or brands and services.
A technical barrier to trade may arise when costs are prohibitive to most stakeholders especially smaller stakeholders or processes and procedures take too long to be completed hence increasing the cost of doing business.
The certification scheme has provided for reasonable fees and favourable timelines to ensure that all activities are completed in a timely manner or as soon as possible.
Yes. We will share our plans as we roll out the service.
The initial Phase will cover mainly Kampala CBD and parts of Entebbe including; Bugolobi Flats, Middle East, Village Mall, MUBS, UMA, Lugogo Cricket Oval, Kololo Airstrip, Kisementi, Bombo Road, Buganda Road, Kampala Road, Ben Kiwanuka Street, Johnstone Street, Luwum Street and Kololo Airstrip.
More information is available on all NITA-U social media platforms.
NITA-U is making use of the idle Internet Bandwidth in Government offices during these hours and making it available free of charge to the public in surrounding areas.
We are rolling out the service based on our current footprint of the national backbone. More areas will be connected within the next Financial Year
The provision of services is the primary responsibility of Government complimented by the private sector for various reasons. If you take the health sector as an example, you cannot say Mulago is competing with IHK, rather that they complement each other.
As NITA-U, we implemented industry standard security controls and measures in order to provide a safe and secure service
We shall be achieving maximum speeds up to 2mbps. Free Wi-Fi is a best-effort service intended to give basic access to the internet.
We intend to offer reliable service of up to 99.7% availability
The NBI is reliable and has redundancy therefore will meet Wi-Fi needs 100%
We are extending the National Backbone Infrastructure to cover the entire country. Priority is being placed on Universities, Schools, Hospitals and Local Governments
Users may get help from firstname.lastname@example.org and additional information can be found on the NITA-U social media platforms.
Registration is necessary for identification and authentication of all users before they can access the service. Collection of user information will also aid with trends analysis, provision of additional services and special offers, registration for use, authorizations and alike.
Please refer to the terms and conditions in the login page
In order to enhance user experience on the Wi-Fi, various timeouts have been put in place.
a. Redundant sessions will be time out after 30 minutes
b. Idle time is 5 minutes
c. Cookie time 1 day [after user sign in, the session is stored in the system for a day from the time of login in]
Please refer to the terms and conditions in the login page
Users will be able to freely access the Internet however; access to the content/websites below will be blocked;
a. Pornographic websites
b. Terrorist/Violence inciting websites
c. Bit Torrents sites
This service is for the public of Uganda and for the betterment of lives. Selection of the sites was determined by the various drivers below;
a. Shopping Mall and Markets
b. National Monuments
c. Educational/ Tertiary Institutions
d. Medical Facilities
e. Tourist Attractions
f. Religious Centres
g. Sports Centres
h. National Art & Cultural Centres
i. Gender Targeted Institutions
j. Locations with high foot traffic between 6:00 am and 6:00 pm and over weekends